Saturday, May 7, 2011

Valerie, Our Little Soldier.

I kinda feel like I am standing up during testimony meeting at church and knowing I need to say something, but I am not sure what it is....(if you are not LDS then that didn't make sense I guess.)


Anyways, my emotions are crazy sometimes and I like to keep my private life private, so here is a big breath out for everything I am feeling right now...


.........(long breath out...)............




Wow. I feel better already. 


These past two weeks have been a roller coaster of emotion. Last week after hearing horrible news the day before I was pulling up into our parking lot and I saw Brandeis (who surprised me by being home early). He looked at me all excited to see my face and the surprised look, but instead I was crying. I try to be strong, but sometimes I am not. You never know when something BIG might happen that affects your life. I cannot say that my day to day life will be different, but some things will be. 


My step brother has been dating Celina basically, forever. Celina has a sister named Valerie. Valerie was diagnosed with brain cancer a few years back and has had numerous surgeries. I have seen her before and after many surgeries. I have witnessed hair loss, hair growth, loosing weight, and being perfectly healthy. I watched Valerie decide right before graduation to have a surgery that had 2 choices which would leave her paralyzed or she could have died. Neither of those happened and when I saw her before the surgery I knew everything would be okay. That was last year around this same time. 


Last week I was told Valerie had found out within a month and a half she had 5 tumors in her brain. The doctor, after always knowing ways to help, told Valerie that they were out of options and it was time for her to go home and battle with her family and no more surgeries. Valerie graciously told the doctor thank you and went home to be with her loved ones. 


Valerie was part of a great family, but she was also part of mine. There was never a Christmas or Thanksgiving that I didn't see her. She always had just as many presents from Santa under our tree as did any of my parents biological children. We love Valerie. I love Valerie. 


My only hope is to have her family feel peace and love. I know Valerie is in Heaven where she is perfect, just how I will always remember her. I know someday she will be reunited with her whole family, including my family. 


I just want Valerie to know that my family loves her so much. I will always remember the good times, and the last time I saw you while you squeezed my hand as I sat by your bedside. I will always remember how you stared at me as I sat and talked to you that day, even if you didn't say anything back. You are such a strength and blessing to everyones' life you have touched. 


I am grateful to call you part of my family. 


 Valerie and Celina

Valerie and Her crush, Brandeis :)

2 comments:

  1. Wow!!! I am sitting here crying for you Jer...You have a way with words and such a big heart. I am sorry for your pain and loss. I love you and am so glad you are a Truman <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww Jeri... this is so sad and touching at the same time. So sorry for your loss!

    ReplyDelete